M/Y Over The Rainbow of London was custom-built in 1930 for Scottish magnate W.G. Hetherington of Glasgow by the Welsh Yard Dickie & Sons, with a specific commission for maximum levels of luxury and comfort. Built in teak over oak frames, she was originally christened Janitha IV and spent her early years cruising around the Scottish coast with Hetherington and his family and friends.
At the outbreak of World War II, Over the Rainbow of London’s destiny dramatically changed when she was put to use as a coastal patroller, and the yacht’s dining room became the principal officer’s mess, where the main distraction was a game of darts. The original Honduras mahogany panels still show the scars of darts missing their target, one of many factors that speak of the yacht’s history and character.
In the post-war years, she shed her classic dignity for a while and became a notorious gambling gal while anchored off Athens, Greece, where she was a highly popular floating casino, allowing the locals to bypass the laws forbidding gambling.
In the late 1940s, the yacht changed hands yet again and mysteriously disappeared from the public eye for almost 40 years, until an English yachting enthusiast purchased her and introduced her to the charter market in the 1990s in the Côte D’Azur.
In the early millennium, a Belgian artist set eyes on the yacht and instantly fell in love with her classic charm and romance. After acquiring Over the Rainbow of London, he took her to an Italian shipyard where she underwent a painstaking two-year rebuild at a cost of over € 5 million. The rebuild preserved her precious past and onboard atmosphere of last-century adventure, with the addition of all the advantages of 21st century needs, including unbeatable logistics, communications, and adventure equipment.